Text to Chat


What Can Be Done If I’ve Been Ordered Removed or Deported?

Being removed from the United States or receiving a deportation notice can turn your life upside down. If you have built a life for yourself in this country, it can be difficult to leave if you have friends, family and a job here. If you have a deportation or removal order and marriage is something you have entered into or are entering into, or if you have children in the U.S., removal can tear your family apart.

If you are at risk of deportation or have already been removed from the United States, you need to speak to an immigration attorney. Reach out to Morales & Sparks to speak to a compassionate and experienced immigration attorney.

What Can Be Done If I’ve Been Ordered Removed or Deported?

The worst thing you can do if you are facing an order of deportation removal is to pretend it is not happening. Continuing to go about your daily life means you are at risk of being apprehended by ICE agents and removed from the country at any time. You may also be hurting your chances of returning to the United States legally.

You do have a few options. You may be able to apply for permission to re-enter the country if you have been issued a final order of deportation or you may be able to reopen the deportation case. Even if you received your deportation order many years ago, you may still be able to reopen the case. In fact, immigration laws may have changed since then. You may file a motion to reopen your case based on changes in the law or changes in the interpretation of the law. If you were issued an in absentia order for removal because you failed to appear for a hearing, an attorney may be able to prove you did not get notice of the hearing or could not appear. If an error was made in your case, an attorney can review the situation and offer possible solutions.

If your removal order or deportation order resulted from a criminal charge, you may wish to seek post-conviction relief or reopen the criminal case. Speaking to a defense attorney with experience in immigration law is useful in this regard. Morales & Sparks is a law firm with a focus on both immigration and defense, so we can help with both elements of your situation.

The reality is that every deportation case is different, so contact Morales & Sparks to review the specifics of your situation and to get representation and advice about the best course of action for you.

Returning After You Have Already Been Deported

You may be able to apply to re-enter the United States following deportation by filing Form I-212 Application for Permission to Reapply for Admission into the United States. You may also be eligible to re-enter after a specific waiting time. For example, non-nationals who have been removed after an expedited removal proceeding may be able to seek readmission after five years.

If you have family in the United States, talk to an attorney to find out if waivers are possible in your case to allow for re-entry. An attorney may also have additional suggestions.

One thing you should not do is re-enter the United States illegally if you have been deported. Doing so can make you permanently inadmissible for legal status. Illegally entering the United States when you are inadmissible or after a deportation is also a federal crime and you may be subject to penalties, including fines and prison.

If you are not sure whether you can re-enter the United States or have been deported or have received a notice of removal, contact Morales & Sparks. Morales & Sparks attorneys may be able to help you with your immigration needs, and our track record and compassion can make your concerns a little easier to bear.