Text to Chat

Re-Entry Permit

Re-Entry Permit Immigration Attorney in Central TX

If you are an immigrant to the U.S. with permanent resident status and you are planning to leave the country for an extended amount of time, there is a chance you could have a problem coming back to the U.S. However, an immigration attorney in Austin, TX could help you avoid any potentially frustrating difficulties.

Request A Consultation

What Is a Re-Entry Permit?

A re-entry permit is a document issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. In a nutshell, it allows permanent residents of the U.S. to leave the country and then seek return without being penalized for being gone for an extended period of time.

This document will be very important if you plan on being outside of the U.S. for a year or more. However, you should seriously consider talking to a re-entry permit immigration attorney in Austin, TX even if you are planning a six-month trip or more. The reason is that leaving for even this long could send a message to the government that you intend to give up your permanent residency status.

If you hold a green card, you need to make sure you apply for a re-entry permit for permanent residents before you leave the country for an extended period of time. You must also complete the biometrics requirements and appear for an appointment before you depart.

A re-entry permit is basically your way of informing the government, in advance of your departure, that you intend to maintain permanent residence in the U.S. and do not wish to abandon your legal status. If you leave for an extended period of time without first applying for this document, you risk losing your permanent resident status. Sometimes, immigration border agents issue Notices to Appear to those who have been gone for too long, and this would require you to appear in immigration court to defend yourself against having your residency taken away.

How Can I Acquire This Permit?

You’ll have to file a document known as Form I-131, also known as an Application for a Travel Document, to be able to obtain a re-entry permit. You’ll need to provide a copy of your permanent residency card (“green card”). If you’ve lost your card, you’ll need a copy of your application to obtain a replacement card (I-90 receipt notice).

You also need to realize that a re-entry permit will only show that you did not intend to abandon your status as a permanent resident. It will not automatically guarantee you will be able to get back into the U.S. Therefore, you should consult with an immigration attorney prior to leaving for any extended period of time.

How an Immigration Attorney in Central Texas Can Help

Unfortunately, people sometimes encounter great difficulties when it comes to re-entering the U.S. after being gone for an extended period of time. This is where a re-entry permit immigration attorney in Austin, TX with Morales & Sparks can help.

We can help you navigate the process of trying to get this permit, and we can also help you plan travel in a way that will limit any impact on your legal status. We can also help you preserve your eligibility for naturalization to U.S. citizen status if you plan to be outside of the U.S. for a long time. If you would like to learn more about the exceptional representation we provide in this area, please give us a call at 512.930.5511 or contact us online.

Honest Client Reviews     Contact Us Today