Text to Chat

Fiancée Visas

Visas for Fiancées of U.S. Citizens in Texas

The process of obtaining visas for fiancées of U.S. citizens in Texas can be extremely involved as well as complex. However, the law offices of Morales & Sparks are staffed with immigration lawyers in Austin, Texas who can make that process a great deal easier.

How Does a Fiancée Visa Differ From Most Other Visas?

In a nutshell, a fiancée visa allows you to come to the U.S. to get married to a U.S. citizen and then apply for permanent residency. This differs from other types of visas that allow for only temporary stays in the U.S.

Request A Consultation

What Kinds of Fiancée Visas Are There?

A fiancée visa is called a K1 visa. It allows someone who is a citizen of a foreign country to enter the U.S. for the purpose of getting married and residing here. The immigrant has 90 days to marry their “sponsor” — the U.S. citizen they are marrying — after entering the country. This option is typically the fastest and most attractive to U.S. citizens who want to bring their significant others into the country.

There is, however, another option for fiancées who want to be married in the U.S. but not live here. This is known as a tourist visa, which you can apply for at your local U.S. consulate. It takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to obtain. It is important to know that the law does not permit use of a tourist visa if the immigrant intends to permanently live in the U.S. Some people have been denied entry at a U.S. border because the official believes the person will apply for a green card.

For those seeking to live in the U.S., another option is to get married outside the U.S. and then apply for an immigrant visa, since you will then be an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. Once you obtain the visa, you would be considered a U.S. conditional or permanent resident upon entry to the U.S. This is an attractive option for many who do not want to have to go through the immigration residency process (“adjustment of status”) after entering.

Contact an immigration attorney in Austin, TX at Morales & Sparks, and we can help you decide the best option for your needs.

What Do You Need to Provide to Your Lawyer for a Successful Fiancée Visa Application?

At Morales & Sparks, we have a great deal of experience in helping obtain fiancée visas and other kinds of immigration visas for Texas residents. While we will do all the “heavy lifting” when it comes to the lengthy and complex process of obtaining this type of visa, there are a few things you will need to provide. We’ll need to see proof of U.S. citizenship of the petitioner, the immigrant’s passport and translated birth certificate and, if applicable, a divorce decree that is also translated and certified. Your immigration attorney can help you determine how best to document the bona fide nature of your relationship for the officer at the visa interview.

If you would like to learn more about how a Morales & Sparks immigration attorney in Austin, TX can help you, please contact us online or call 512.930.5511.

Honest Client Reviews     Contact Us Today