Text to Chat


Parole in Place: Military Benefits for Undocumented Family Members

A spouse, widow(er), parent, son or daughter of the bottom three can be eligible to apply for Parole in Place in one-year increments.

  • An active-duty member of the United States armed forces
  • An individual in Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve
  • An individual (living or deceased) previously served in active duty or Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve and was not dishonorably discharged.

What is Parole in Place?

PIP allows particular undocumented family members of U.S. military members to obtain permanent residency status (Green Card.) It allows for foreign national families to adjust their status to a lawful permanent resident without leaving the United States. However, one is not eligible for this if an individual overstayed their visa or past their period of authorized stay.

How do I apply?

One must submit the following documents to their local USCIS office in their jurisdiction over the place of residence.

  • A completed I-131 Form, Application for Travel Document
    • You must handwrite “Military PIP” in part 2 instead of checking the box
  • Evidence that your family member is an active or former member of the armed forces, which can be a photocopy of the front/back of a service member’s military identification card or DD Form 214.
  • Two identical, colored passport styled photos
  • Evidence of the family relationship, examples include:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Son/daughter’s birth certificate
    • Military member’s birth certificate with parent’s name
  • Evidence of anything you believe would be a favorable factor that one would like the USCIS to consider

We here at Morales & Sparks know how complicated and tough this process can be, so schedule a free consultation with us so we can help you and your family have a better life! You can contact one of our lawyers 24 hours a day. We have law offices in Central Texas and we provide all our services in English or Spanish.

Disclaimer: The purpose of this post is to provide general information and is not to be constituted as legal advice. If you need help with a specific issue, please seek the advice of an attorney.